Palmito or Heart of palm,what it is, how to eat it and lots of useful information on properties and combinations in the kitchen.
Heart of palm, what is it
Thepalmito, more commonly calledpalm heart is a natural food, obtained from inner coreof different plants. In particular, thepalm heartis obtained from the palms of:
- Palmito Jucara
The plants listed above are spontaneous species that grow in different locations around the globe. For the production ofpalmito, the agricultural industry has "domesticated" some wild species by adapting them to controlled cultivation. Thepalm heartis extracted fromsuckers(from the lateral branches) of the palms.
THEpalm heartsrepresent a productquite newin the Italian diet. How are they eaten? The heart of palm can be eaten as a side dish for fish or meat dishes, or eaten with salads, added to other vegetables.
Heart of palm, nutritional properties
THEpalm heartsthey are considered a fooddelicious both fornutritional properties, both for the labor that requires their production.
Thepalm heartinteresting boastsnutritional properties. We are talking about a food rich in fiber, potassium, iron, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6 and vitamin C.
A cup of fresh palm hearts contains 4 grams of protein, 0.3 grams of total fat, 37 grams of carbohydrates, 2.2 grams of fiber and a good dose of minerals. Among the mineral salts we point out 204 milligrams of phosphorus, 26 milligrams of calcium and a massive dose of potassium, equal to that offered by six bananas! The amount of zinc provided by a cup of palm hearts is 5.45 milligrams. Thepalm heartbrings fair quantities of copper, manganese and selenium.
Does the palm heart hurt or good?
The heart of palm can be considered a plant food like any other. It doesn't hurt when eaten fresh. THEpalm heartscanned should be eaten with some moderation, as with any canned food!
Heart of palm, flavor
What does thepalm hearts? The flavor can be described asdesserts. They have a tastethinwhich remotely recalls that of white asparagus. It is a true delicacy that offers significant nutritional benefits.
Heart of palm, recipes
For completeness we provide you with one of manyrecipesto be processed with ipalm hearts. Here's how to prepare thecaramelized salmon with heart of palm.
- 1 salmon steak of 120 gr
- 1 heart of palm
- 80 gr of purple potatoes
- black and white sesame seeds
- extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper as required
Preparation of the recipe with heart of palm:
- Wash the salmon fillet.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into cubes and cook them in a saucepan with cold water. The potatoes cook within 25 minutes. Check the cooking with the tip of a knife or a fork.
- Drain the water from the potatoes. Mash them and make them creamy. Add salt and pepper.
- Roast the salmon using a non-stick pan. It is not necessary to use oil.
- Cut the palm heart so as to obtain two half cylinders. Roast the palm hearts on the flat side, corresponding to the cut.
- Cook the salmon on both sides. Add a little salt and cook until you get a little crust.
- On a plate, place the potato cream and serve the salmon laying it right on the cream.
- Toast the sesame seeds.
- Sprinkle the salmon with the sesame seeds and, add to the dish, thehearts of palmsroasted.
Thepalmitoit is also produced from the acai palm, the same plant grown for the production of acai berries. If you like the palm tree and instead want to eat it, cultivate it, here is some useful information on its trunks in an article that illustrates its characteristics: Palm trunk